Deliciously healthy, powered with authentic Greek flavours
Preparation: 40 minutes preparation + 45 minutes cooking
Serves:16 serves of vegies in this recipe
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1cm slices
- 400g lean lamb mince
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 425g can crushed tomatoes with herbs
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/3 cup white wine (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- Olive or canola oil spray
- Cheesy sauce
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons plain flour
- 15g grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup reduced-fat ricotta
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Pinch ground nutmeg
Preheat oven to 180 °C. Sprinkle eggplant with salt and leave for 30 minutes. Heat non-stick frypan and cook lamb over medium-high heat until browned. Remove lamb and cook the onion and garlic in meat juices until softened. Return the meat, add carrot, tomatoes, tomato paste, wine and bay leaf, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Heat the grill. Rinse eggplant slices with water and pat dry with paper towels. Spray lightly with oil and grill until golden on each side. Lay half the slices in an oblong baking dish (30cm x 20cm). Cover with half the meat sauce. Repeat. In a saucepan, mix a little milk and flour until smooth. Stir in remaining milk. Cook, stirring, over low heat until thickened. Remove from heat and stir through Parmesan cheese. Stir in ricotta, cayenne pepper and nutmeg. Pour over dish and bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown.
Made to serve 6.
Recipe © State of Western Australia, 2012.