You definitely don’t have to be a celebrity chef to prepare this super healthy meal at home! Join one of our fabulous Dieticians, Traci Cook as she walks you through the preparation of this delicious Pork Chow Mein …right in time for Nutrition Week.
National Nutrition Week is celebrated each year in October with the actual dates determined by the United Nations World Food Day – recognised globally on 16th of the month. Its purpose is to encourage people to experiment with new healthy foods and to enjoy a full and varied diet.
This year the focus of National Nutrition Week is on adding more vegetables to the family diet…something this great Chow Mein recipe achieves with ease…so why not give it a try.
- 500-600g pork mince (heart smart/lean)
- x2 large carrots, grated
- x2 large zucchinis, grated
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 1 onion, grated/finely diced
- ½ cup uncooked/raw rice
- x1 ‘Continental’ Chow Mein Mince flavour sachet/recipe mix
- Use non-stick fry pan and brown pork mince, garlic and onion.
- Add chew mein recipe base, 1.5 cups water (375ml), uncooked rice, grated carrots and zucchinis
- Cook and simmer on low heat for 30-45mins (until rice is tender), stir occasionally
Nutrition Information per serve (x4-5 per recipe):
Fat, total: 12-15g
– saturated: 4.4-5.5g
Cost per serve: $2.50-3.10 (whole recipe= $12.40 )
Bon Appetit !